Top 10 Book-Giving Ideas: Join First Book and Bring the Magic of Books to Kids in Need this Holiday Season
2014 Holiday Gift Guide: Gifts that Matter
WASHINGTON, December 9, 2014 – This holiday season, bring the magic of reading to children growing up in low-income communities with 10 book-giving ideas from First Book, the award-winning nonprofit social enterprise.
- Give books just by reading with your child online! Join the Season’s Readings Challenge and for every book you or your kids read on www.wegivebooks.org, a brand new book will be donated to a child in need.
- Triple your impact. Every $2.50 donated to First Book between now and the end of the year will be matched with an in-kind donation of two books from Disney.
- Love the Divergent series? Support author Veronica Roth’s effort to share the series with teens in low-income communities with a gift to her #AbnegationDonation campaign on Twitter.
- Host a Virtual Book Drive and invite others to join you to bring brand new books to a specific school, program, your entire community or where it is needed most! Every $5.00 raised can provide two new books to a child in need.
- Honor a loved one with a symbolic gift from the First Book Gift Catalog, featuring Books that Promote Peace, Empowering Stories for Girls, books for Kids in Crisis and other ways you can help. All gifts provide brand new books to children in need.
- Download A Cup of Christmas – a holiday anthology of stories, memoirs, poems and recipes from 31 authors. All proceeds support First Book.
- Give the gift of inspiration with the book A Path Appears: Transforming Lives, Creating Opportunity. The authors share how you can impact positive change here and around the world and invite you to help with their “Buy for Good” gift list.
- Grant a Book Wish and help teachers and nonprofits working in low-income communities bring books to children they serve.
- Purchase a special holiday book bundle on AERIN.com, and you’ll get five festive tales for you and your child to enjoy while bringing books to kids in need! Titles include The Snowman, Babar and Father Christmas, A Charlie Brown Christmas, How the Grinch Stole Christmas, and White Snow, Bright Snow.
- Raise awareness and increase diversity in children’s literature by funding a Stories for All Library. Your gift will provide books with characters and stories that are relevant to more kids’ lives, making them more enthusiastic readers.
“Giving gifts that matter is increasingly important to individuals and families, and there’s nothing better than sharing the magic of reading with children for whom books are scarce,” said Kyle Zimmer, president and CEO of First Book. “From Goodnight Moon to the Handbook for Boys, from Diary of a Wimpy Kid to Divergent, from classics to college prep, we’ve got a steady stream of books for kids from birth through age 18 – books that unlock a child’s future and support the educators who serve them.”
About First Book
First Book is a nonprofit social enterprise that has distributed more than 120 million brand new books and educational resources to programs and schools serving children from low-income families throughout the U.S. and Canada. By making new, high-quality books available on an ongoing basis, First Book is transforming the lives of children in need and elevating the quality of education. For more information, please visit us online or follow our latest news on Facebook and Twitter.